Word is that the babies can now taste some of what I am eating, so I am supposed to be eating (and therefore introducing them to) varied foods. There is mixed research on this, but I definitely don’t want our girls to be as picky as I am! Derek has been encouraging me to eat spicy foods, and although I don’t like veggies, I have been trying to eat more of them. I have been fighting heartburn (my fave pregnancy food, pizza, is now a no go), but I figured I would try my hand at a stir fry. I didn’t get heartburn, and I ate veggies with a little bit of a spicy kick!
Prep Time: ~20 minutes (not including marinade time and rice cooking time)
Feeds: 6-8 people. Yields 10 cups.
- 1-1.5 pounds sirloin steak (or chicken), sliced into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Marinade the meat in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups cooked chilled rice, preferably leftover rice so it is a little dried out
- Sesame oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- previously marinated beef
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups of your favorite veggies (my mix is frozen broccoli, green beans, carrots, and sugar snap peas plus canned water chestnuts, drained)
- 2 packets of Kikoman stir fry seasoning mix, prepared with the 2 tablespoons water
Heat a few drops of sesame oil in a large nonstick frying pan over moderate heat. Add the 2 beaten eggs to the pan and cook until just done. Remove from the pan and cut into thin
Heat 2 tablespoons of marinade at moderately high. Put the beef in the pan (without the remaining marinade) and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and just cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove.
Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil; it should be shimmering. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, and sliced green onions. Sauté for a minute or so, then add 1-2 cups of your fave veggies. Cook about 3 minutes.
Add the chilled, cooked rice to the and stir fry until heated thoroughly.
Add the reserved steak and egg. Mix in prepared stir fry seasoning. Again, stir fry until heated thoroughly.